Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley - One of My Favourite Murder Mysteries.

 Where to even begin with this book, an absolute delight to read. It’s written in a way that makes it effortless to read, and I managed to finish this book within days, which for me is amazing as I’m new to this whole reading thing, and was truly captivated the whole time. I loved the way the perspective changed from person to person, and between past and present. Each character had a back story and a mystery about them which I loved unraveling throughout the book, and made me feel connected to each character. The lead up to the murder, and finding out who-done-it, was written perfectly in my eyes. There were no areas I found dragging or information I felt unnecessary. I personally never saw the twists and turns coming, and the murderer shocked me. Once finished, I went straight out to the shops to buy Lucys other book ‘The Guest List.’

This was the book that got me into reading properly, maybe for the first time in my life, and I am so thankful for that. If you ever want a great-written, easy to read murder mystery then this is the one. 

Comments