Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | Eight Detectives by Alex Pavesi - A Fresh New Take on Murder Mysteries

If you are a lover of murder mysteries, like me, you are going to love this book! 

Eight Detectives is a mix between seven short murder mysteries, that form a book, and a narrative between Grant the author of the book and Julia a publisher. Julia has recently discovered the book Grant wrote 20+ years ago and is there to interview him so she can publish it. The book, called The White Murders, contains seven short murder mysteries that highlight the ingredients needed to form a murder mystery. Grant was a mathematician and had formed a mathematic equation that showed the required elements needed to make a murder mystery novel. Ok I’ll stop explaining the plot of the book now as I promise I’m not doing it any justice and probably just confusing you. 

This book took me a bit to get into, as after the first chapter I was so confused since the murder had been solved and the story basically over. However, after second and third chapter I was hooked and fully grasped the way the book was going. The story between Grant and Julia really picked up in the second half of the book and I found myself racing through the murder mystery chapters to continue their story. I also hurried to hear Grant explain the mathematics behind each story. As someone who needs to know how things work and why, my maths teacher loved me for that, it was very pleasing to my mind to know how murder mysteries work in a way. I have loved this genre of books / movies for a long time and now my brain is happy it has a full understanding behind them. And now looking back, the mathematic equation is true for every book I have read or movie I have seen. 

The seven murder mysteries within this book aren’t the greatest murder mysteries ever written, but I somehow feel thats the point. They aren’t there to be the best but to simply showcase the elements of the mathematic equation. And as I read the final chapters it made more sense as to why these stories aren’t the greatest. Whether my theory is true or not, do not let that put you off the book as a whole. I still enjoyed reading the murder mysteries and found myself trying to guess the twists and outcomes, and was still mainly surprised by them all. My favourite two were ‘Trouble on Blue Pearl Island’ and ‘The Cursed. Village’. 

Now the ending, wow the ending. I did not see that coming at all. Such a pleasing twist and added yet another layer to the murder mystery chapters. I was generally shocked. I loved that Grant and Julia both got their own shocking endings as well. I enjoyed reading their characters, and their relationship, develop throughout the book and it made perfect sense to give them both their own ending. It was a perfect end to an intriguing and satisfying book. 

Eight Detectives was an original, unique and captivating take on the modern murder mystery. A brilliant debut novel by Alex Pavesi, I’m excited to see what you manage next. 

Comments

  1. Oooh this sounds like a really interesting take on the genre. That the stories link together sounds excellent - I think I'd actually be more likely to pick it up if I knew I could treat it like a bind up of short stories rather than a single longer book.
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it definitely makes it a more interesting read, and you almost feel like you’re accomplishing more as you have finished loads of short stories in one. I highly recommend😁.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great read, even if I am not that much into mysteries and murders. Thank you for recommending this very particular book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you enjoyed my review and it has somewhat persuaded you to read the book / murder mysteries. Eight Detectives is a bit of an easier read if this isn’t your go to genre as it is seven short stories intertwined with one large narrative. Makes it a much smoother, rewarding read!

      Delete

Post a Comment