Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | Exit by Belinda Bauer - A Very Wholesome Murder Mystery

I have never felt so much sympathy for an accused murderer than I have for Felix Pink. Bauer will make you fall with a gentle old man, whilst also touching on a taboo subject. 

Felix Pink is part of a secretive group named the Exiteers, a group of individuals who accompany people as they take their last breathes. As you can imagine, there is a very fine line between legal and illegal for these people and it is important that the Exiteers stay on the right side of the law. However on one of Felixs appointments everything does not go as planned. Is Felix to blame or is there more to the story? 

When I first started Exit, I wasn’t able to tell where the story was heading. The book gets straight into the action and after the first couple chapters it seemed as if the whole story was told. But oh was I wrong. It turns out the death had a bigger question mark around it then I originally thought. 

One of my favourite things about this book was the way it was written. Bauer managed to set the scene perfectly. I was able to imagine the characters, the houses and the garden fence so clearly in my mind that it really just brought the story to life. This book also keeps you guessing throughout, just when I thought I was getting a hang on who was doing what I was completely blindsided. It is always lovely when a book is so well written that you don’t feel like you’re reading and I got this with Exit. 

Another thing Bauer does well is making you feel connected to the characters. You get enough of the main characters back story and little details about them to feel a connection without being bombarded with information. As you may have guessed from my opening statement I loved Felix. He was such a gentle, kind old man who reminded me of my grandad. He wants to do whats best for everyone and gets himself so overly involved by mistake, and I ensure you you’re heart will melt for him. 

Another small weird detail I loved about this book was that the chapters were named and not numbered. Its something so small but it just makes it different to the norm and helps it stand out. 

I do feel like I need to mention this book does focus around the topic of euthanasia / assisted suicide. Bauer does it in a very tasteful manor and takes in account both pros and cons. I know this topic isn’t for everyone, and some people may wish to avoid this book because of it, but please do not let this put you off Exit.

Exit is funny, heartwarming, mysterious, gripping and sad all at the same time. This book has became one of my favourite reads of this year. 

Comments