Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | The Shadow People by Graham Masterton - An Interesting Dark Horror

I have been wanting to push myself out my comfort zone with reading (my comfort zone being murder mysteries types) and NetGalley has been the perfect place for doing that. One night I was on a hunt for a new horror / thriller book and I was instantly drawn in by The Shadow People. 

The Shadow People follows two detectives, Jerry and Patel, as they try and hunt down a cannibalistic cult. The narrative switches between the detectives and their crew and the members of the cult giving you a full insight into both sides of the story. And this isn’t just any normal cannibalistic cult (not that that is normal at all) as they worship a dark demon god who is only found in the darkest of places. 

As much as this whole book was very dark and taboo I loved it. It starts off by getting straight into the action and sets the tone perfectly within the first chapter by discussing burnt body parts. I will warn everyone that this book isn’t for the faint-hearted, it is so extremely and perfectly descriptive and graphic that it could easily put you off meat for life. I will never be able to look at gammon the same!

I like to be able to visually picture the book in my head whilst I’m reading, and I can happily say I managed this with The Shadow People. And I want to be the first one to say this would be an amazing dark drama series for the television, one I would watch in a heartbeat. There were so many little twists and turns and just when you think it can’t get any worse, it does!

Honestly I have nothing bad to say about this book. By the end all my questions were answered, nothing stuck out to me as being left unresolved and I felt satisfied or at least as much as I could with cannibalism and death. There is a small cliffhanger type of thing at the end which gives me hope that there may be a follow up book, I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed. 

If you’re looking for a book full of roses and sunshine with happily ever afters, this is not the book for you. But if you love dark horror, gruesome twists and that weird uncomfortable feeling a book can sometimes have on you then please pick up a copy of The Shadow People!

Comments