Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | Murder at the House on the Hill by Victoria Walters - A Super Cosy Murder Mystery

The Murder at the House on the Hill has been one of my favourite reads in recent months. If you enjoy cosy, light-hearted and fun murder mysteries that keep you captivated then this is the book for you. And the best part, it’s the first book in a new series!

Nancy and her grandmother Jane own a murder mystery bookshop in a small village in the Cotswolds. Nothing exciting or interesting ever happens here, well that is until one festive evening when the Roth family open their doors to the village to celebrate an engagement. However it’s not long until things turn deadly. Through little persuasion, Nancy and Jane decide it is down to them to solve the murder. But what lengths are they willing to take to solve the crime?

This book had me gripped from the start. I cant believe how instantly sucked into their world I was, it generally felt like I knew each character on a personal level. I got pure tunnel vision whilst reading, there were times my partner was trying to talk to me and I just didn’t hear him. 

Nancy and Jane are such an amazing duo and so easy to connect with. They’re both ordinary people who just love gossip, get too involved in things that don’t involve them and become overly engrossed by trying to solve the murder. And as someone who is obsessed with murder mysteries and crime documentaries, this is the exact way I would be if it were me. There were a few times I almost physically shouted out to Nancy to stop her from doing things. She loves pushing the boundaries and it made me so nervous but giddy at the same time. 

The bonus to this book is there is a smaller mystery within the main murder mystery, and I loved this. It helps add another depth to the book. It offers a back story to some of the characters and explains why they are the way they are. 

As always I tried to guess whodunit, and almost straight away I thought I had it. I even came up with an elaborate explanation as to why it was this one person, and even told my partner about it with pure confidence, but of course I was wrong! As much as I love being right, I never want to be right with my guesses because that means the book isn’t written well. A murder mystery should leave everyone guessing until the end. So, well done Walters!

As you can tell, I absolutely loved this book. And thankfully the ending leads on perfectly to the next book in the series, Murder at the Summer Fete, which is out in March. And you bet I’ll be buying it straight away. 

Comments