Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - Everything I Could Have Hoped For And More!

As I am sure everyone knows, Warm Bodies is also a movie. I watched it for the first time years ago and I loved it, but little did I know it was originally a book!! On one of my many charity shop book hauls I saw the book and I knew straight away I was adding it to my bookshelf. Once it came to the top of my read list I was so excited to get stuck in, especially as I couldn’t fully remember the full plot of the movie, and I was not disappointed at all!

Warm Bodies is based in an version of Earth where a plague or disease has taken over the population and turned people into Zombies. R, a unique zombie, meets Julie, a surviving human, and instead of doing the “normal” zombie thing of killing and eating her, he takes her home and protects her. Little does he know this is the start of a new revolution where the lines between zombie and human begin to blur. 

Well this book blew me away in so many different ways. Marion writes in such a perfect way that I really felt like I was in the mind of a zombie, there were just so many little details that helped paint the bigger picture and that really helped pull me in and immerse me in the story. I always say a book has succeeded if you can picture it in your mind as you read along and I got that effect straight away with this book. 

Warm Bodies is a quite a short book, just under 250 pages, but this was nice and refreshing as I have read a lot of long books recently. I think this also highlights how great Marions writing skills is, that he managed to fit so much detail and drama into a smaller book without it being overwhelming. 

During the time I was reading this book, I found out it was the start of a four book series and that excites me so much! The book has a satisfying ending but also leaves you wanting more which is a wonderful way to end a book in a series. I cannot wait to to add the three remaining books to my bookshelf. 

Warm Bodies is the perfect mix of emotions, love, horror and suspense. It is true what they say that books are better than movies, but you bet I’m watching the movie as soon as possible. 

Comments