Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | The Match by Harlan Coben - A Nail-Biting, Twisty Thriller

I am the first to admit I am a complete sucker for Netflix shows and I have loved two of the Netflix adaptations of Coben books (The Stranger and Stay Close), and promised myself after I watched them I would read his books. So when I saw The Match on NetGalley I took it as a sign to get stuck straight in to the never-ending pile of Coben books. And can I just say now, wow what an introduction. 

The Match follows the story of Wilde, who as a children was abandoned alone in the woods for years, as he tries to figure out where he came from. When he finally gets a match on a DNA site for a possible relative, it starts a journey of secrets, twists and deception. More importantly it raises the question, is anyone who they really say they are?

I was captivated from the beginning. From the first couple of pages I could tell I really enjoy Cobens way of writing (or at least the way he wrote this book). The story is told from around three different perspectives and if you have read any of my previous reviews you will know I love multiple narratives. It manages to give a deeper insight into the story and makes you believe you are getting to know each character separately. It also allows the story to develop in stages as each perspective reveals new layers and little twists for the others. 

Another reason why I loved the writing style of The Match is that it was so easy to read, it’s really that simple. I was never left second guessing anything, or wondering what happened earlier, or who that person was again. There wasn’t too much things happening or too many people involved, which I fear some crime/thriller books are guilty off, and therefore it felt so seamless and effortless to read. 

The Match also raises a very interesting element regarding the influencer world. It highlights the very real extremes people go to get “famous” and makes you question whether or not what you’re seeing is real or fake. 

The only non-positive comment (I don’t want to use the word negative as this just paints the wrong image) is that I don’t fully understand the point in Hester’s law case, Richard Levine. I just can’t fathom why it was needed in the book as I feel it didn’t add to the overall story. I may have just missed something, but personally I wouldn’t have missed this detail if it wasn’t excluded.

Now the fun part, the endings. Omg!! I was completely blindsided by it all, I couldn’t figure it out at all whilst ready the book (and trust me I tried). I also got very weirdly emotional by the ending, it just felt so honest and heart-warming. 

The Match was the most perfect introduction to Harlan Coben, and I will for sure be picking up his many other novels. Which would you recommend I start with next?

Thank you to Harlan Coben, Cornerstone and NetGalley for giving me access to this amazing book! Pre-order / order here. Published 17/03/2022.

Comments