Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | They All Lied by Louise Phillips - A Book That Will Leave You Questioning Until The End

I was so excited when I received this proof. I was immediately drawn in by the description and the reviews dotted around the cover and pages. So excited, I pushed They All Lied to the top of my to be read pile, and I’m so glad I did. 

They All Lied follows the story of Nadine as she receives a stressed phone call from her daughter, claiming she has killed someone and is now being held captive. It is then Nadine follows instructions from the kidnappers to get her daughter back. However, it is never that straight forward. Nadine has to confront truths about a disappearance that happened 18 years prior, while convincing her loved ones she is telling the truth. When he family thinks she is lying, will we ever figuring out who is telling the truth?

This book gets straight into the action which made me instantly hooked. I struggled to put the book down as I was so sucked in by the plot and characters. As you make you’re way through the book there is a point where it feels a lot names are being thrown around or a lot of things happening, but I assure you it does come together in the end. 

Phillips knows how to write books thats for sure! She cleverly reveals small snippets and secrets about Nadines younger days, around the mysterious disappearance of her friend Evie and her husband, without giving too much away. The way it is written also constantly makes you wonder who is telling the truth and who might be crazy. It keeps you guessing until the very end and I love that!

I was able to guess details of the ending, although I never guessed the big twist, however I really enjoyed the journey getting there. 

Do you ever just read a book and just love it but almost feel like its hard to put into words the reasons why, well thats They All Lied for me. And I guess you will just need to read it to find out why. 

Thank you so much to Louise Phillips and Hachette for trusting me with this proof, always so appreciated! Published 03/03/2022. Pre-order / order by clicking here.

Comments