Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | Piranesi by Susanna Clarke - A World Full of Mystery and Wonder

If the stunning cover of Piranesi doesn’t draw you in, the rather cryptic description on the back of the book and the many, many great reviews definitely will. Piranesi is a beautiful, spooky, uplifting and mysterious novel that I have completely fallen in love with. 

Piranesi follows the story of a man who lives in the House. For as long as he can remember, there are only two alive people within the House. However, one day messages begin to appear, secrets and warnings. Is Piranesi as alone as he thought or is his live about to change forever? 

Ok, I know that description is very cryptic but I want to avoid giving anything away and that was all the information I had going in. I must admit, after reading the first couple of pages I was really confused. I had no idea what was going on, who Piranesi was or where he was. However, the pieces started to fall into place very quickly and the bigger picture started making a lot more sense. So if you have the same feeling at the start, please stick with it! 

Clarke has a wonderful brain and a beautiful writing ability. The way the book slowly reveals information and secrets about Piranesi’s life and the House is outstanding. The more you read the more you discover, and the more you immerse yourself into the story.

This was the first book in a while that got me reading it last thing at night and first thing in the morning, and for that I am forever thankful. My motivation for reading had slipped in the last month or two, for reasons I still don’t know, but this book has reignited it. 

I can already sense Piranesi is going to be one of those books that never leaves my mind and one I recommend to everyone who will listen. So let me start here, go and buy Piranesi. You will not regret! 

Comments