Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | The Lighthouse by Fran Dorricott - A Spooky Mystery Set In Scotland

I was lucky enough to win The Lighthouse in a Twitter competition. I entered the competition after hearing a lot about the book and wanting to buy it, so when my luck came in I was so excited! As a Scot I was beyond ready to immerse myself into a book set in Scotland. 

The Lighthouse follows the story of six friends who go on a weekend away to a once-abandoned, newly renovated lighthouse on an isolated Scottish island. As the weekend develops, mysterious and unexplained things begin to happen. As they continue and become more intense the relationship between friends becomes strained. Who can be trusted? Who is telling the truth? Can they make it off the island together and alive? 

If you’ve read any of my previous reviews you will know I love multi-narrative books. I feel it gives a much deeper and wider view of the storyline. And The Lighthouse does just that. The story is told from three different perspectives - Kira, Genevieve and Moira. Each narrative lets you jump into the mind of that character and see the story from their point of view. I admit, multi-narrative can sometimes get quite confusing and difficult to follow but Fran makes it seem so simple. 

Surprisingly this book was a lot spookier than I thought it would be. Not quite leaving me trembling in my boots but definitely made me feel on edge after reading certain parts, and I loved that. It maybe wasn’t the best idea for me to read this late into the night when I know I spook easily, but we live and we learn. 

If I had to use one word to sum up The Lighthouse it would be unputdownable-amazeballs (I know its not a word but just go with it ok). I loved every second of reading this book, becoming more fascinated by every page and I already need more. The book ends with some unanswered questions, which I normally hate but Fran managed to do it just right, and I need need NEED to know the answers. 

If you’re looking for a spooky, intense and gripping mystery that will keep you reading all through the night, The Lighthouse is the book for you. Think Lucy Foley but with more edge. Well done Fran and I cannot wait to see what mystery you create next. 

Comments