Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | I, Mona Lisa by Natasha Solomons - Beautifully Written Historical Fiction

If you’re looking for an historic fiction that will pull on your heartstrings whilst also putting the biggest smile on your face, I, Mona Lisa is the one for you. 

Mona Lisas story has been told and adored a thousand times throughout history but we’ve never given her a chance to tell it how she wants, until now. I, Mona Lisa follows the painting from her creation until her present home behind glass, exploring her love and relationship with Leonardo and everyone else shes met throughout her long life. 

Now where do I even start with I, Mona Lisa, this book was incredible from start to finish. My first book event ever was to see Solomons at Toppings Bookshop in Edinburgh; I was so nervous to go on my own but I am so glad I pushed myself out my comfort zone. To hear the research and passion that went into creating this novel was incredible, and can definitely be seen whilst reading. Of course I know this is a work of fiction, but I constantly had to remind myself because theres almost such a fine line. The history of Mona Lisa and all she went through is real it’s just this perspective is fiction, or is it? Solomons has given Mona Lisa such a beautiful, humorous, relatable voice to the point I generally believe this is how she would be.

The way this book was written and the telling of the story completely sucked me in. It gives sophisticated diary feels, as if the words are coming directly from Mona Lisa. When done correctly, I love this point of view and way of telling a story. It helps me feel more connected to the character as I feel like I’m getting a one-on-one chat with them where they reveal every thought and feeling they’re having. And this is exactly what I got with I, Mona Lisa. 

My relationship with the Mona Lisa has completely changed since before I started reading this book. One of my favourite cities in the world is Paris and I have visited the Mona Lisa twice, but every time I’ve been underwhelmed. Shes small, its hard to get close to her through the crowds and the museum is so large you need to move on quickly if you want to see anything else. But after finishing I, Mona Lisa I googled her and just stared at her photo for maybe ten minutes. As I’ve said before, I know this is a work of fiction but I don’t think anyone could finish this book and not have her narrative imbedded in your brain. I will forever look at the Mona Lisa differently and Solomans thank you for that! 

I, Mona Lisa is the perfect mix of history, fiction, adventure, humour, love, sadness and joy. If you love Mona Lisa, or even if you don’t, please read this book because I promise you you’ll finish having a whole new admiration for her. And Mona Lisa, I promise the next time I visit I’ll listen for you. 

Comments