Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | The Birdcage by Eve Chase - A Heart-Warming Family Mystery


Eve Chase was one of the first authors I fell in love with when I properly got into reading last year, getting The Glasshouse for my birthday April 2021. So when I was offered a proof copy of The Birdcage I was over the moon. Not only is getting a proof copy so completely humbling but it was also the first one I got as a reviewer. 

The Birdcage is a multiple narrative, dual timezone story. It follows the story of three sisters as they re-visit their dads family home. In 1999, between sitting for their fathers painting the three young girls run wild in the summer heat. Fast-forward to 2019, the sisters visit for the first time since that summer. Will old secrets resurface? Will the sisters be able to see past their differences? Can the dark family secret stay hidden? 

I know multiple narrative and dual timezone isn’t for everyone, but I really enjoy the way Chase manages it. It never gets confusing, its simple and straight forward to know what timezone/persona you are reading and it gives you multiple views of the same situation. Chase manages to give you a real insight into each sisters personality, thoughts and take on the world. You also get a great insight into the sisterly relationship they share, their dynamic and the jealousy that arrises between them. 

I got so engrossed in the story; there were times I was almost shouting at my book as I just needed to know what was going on. Chase always finds a way to pull me in to her books, and this one was no exception. I subconsciously made the book last longer as I just didn’t want it to end!!

By the end I was able to figure out the big secret / twist but as much as this book is a mystery, figuring it out doesn’t ruin the book as the overall story is more than that. Also, it wasn’t a sudden ‘oh yes, its obvious’, I gradually figured it out as new secrets and details were revealed which I believe was intentional by the writing style. If you were focused enough you could slowly piece it together. 

As always, once I finished and put down The Birdcage I had the biggest smile on my face and slight tears in my eyes. This book fills my heart with so much love and joy, and the ending was a beautiful way to round it off.

The Birdcage is way more than a mystery novel. It’s a heartwarming story about sisters and families. The way no matter how different you are, you will always be connected to family. The underlying rule of ‘family will always be there for you’ shines through in this book. If you have loved any previous Eve Chase books or are looking for a heart-warming mystery, I promise this is the book for you!! 

Thank you so much to Michael Joseph, Penguin Random House and Eve Chase for trusting me with a proof copy, it means the world! Order your copy here.

Comments