Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | Lessons In Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus - One Of My Top Five Books of 2022

Lessons In Chemistry was that book that I saw all over Twitter, and I really mean all over!! It generally felt like everyone I followed read this book and absolutely loved it. So once I finally treated myself to a copy I was so nervous to get stuck in incase it was one of them books that didn’t live up to the hype but I promise you now, it completely by-passes the hype!!

Lessons In Chemistry follows the story of Elizabeth Zott, a scientist and a mother, as she navigates her life in the 1950s. After losing her job at the lab, Elizabeth lands the lead role on a cooking show. But will the new fame be everything Elizabeth wants, or doesn’t want, and can Elizabeth teach women about their truest potential? This is a story of a woman battling against her career, motherhood, love, women rights and feminism.

My favourite part of this book, and probably most peoples, is Elizabeth Zott. She is strong, determined, smart, loving and knows her own mind. She is everything, every woman would love to be and this makes her a fantastic female role model. She teaches you to stand up for yourself, always follow your dreams and never back down no matter who is trying to hold you back. 

My next favourite part is Six-Thirty, like come on who doesn’t love a dog in a book?! There are a few chapters throughout that are written from Six-Thirties perspective, which I think adds a different layer to the story. It gives you an almost outsider opinion on what is happening and a different thought of the situation. But most importantly I just loved getting inside a dogs mind, made me wonder what my dog would say giving half the chance. 

There are some books in life that you will forever love and remember and I believe Lessons In Chemistry will be one of they books for me. I wanted to scream with joy once I finished, I had the biggest smile across my face and my heart was bursting with joy. I have never felt this connected and happy for a character in a book before, which was both overwhelming and fascinating but it the greatest way. I was gripped from page one and struggled to put the book down. Garmus I don’t know how you did it, but you did it!!

Until we meet again Elizabeth Zott!

Comments

  1. I have found so many interesting thing in your blog and I really love that. Private tutor Pinecrest Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment