Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Book Review | The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett - Captivating, Unique Mystery

After completely demolishing The Appeal, I was a bit late to the party but better late than never, I could not wait to get my hands on The Twyford Code. And to my complete joy it was everything I anticipated and hoped - unique, captivating and a true mystery throughout. 

The Twyford Code is a rumoured legacy left behind by author Edith Twyford which is supposedly meant to lead to an unknown treasure. Steve Smith can trace nearly all the bad things in his life back to Edith and the Twyford Code, even as a child. Now geared up, Steve is determined to find out the answer. But the Twyford Code hides secrets some would do anything to possess, but he is not the only one. Can you solve the mystery first?

My all-time favourite thing about Hallett is how refreshingly unique her books are. Just like The Appeal, The Twyford Code is written in a format I have never seen before. The book is told through audio file transcripts. All the audio files mainly belong to Steve as he takes voice notes of all that is happening and records his conversations with other characters. Steve does have a tendency to ramble on a bit but I believe that makes it feel more realistic; the way we all do when we’re trying to tell a story. It helps the connection to Steve, and the overall story, feel deeper as it begins to feel like you’re just listening to a friend ramble. 

When I say I could not put this book down I generally mean it. I was reading this first thing in the morning and last thing at night. There isn’t set chapters which makes it so unputdownable as there is no clear end and you just continuously read. I LOVE that!!! The whole time I was reading this book, in the back of my head I kept trying to figure out what was going on but I just could not. In true Hallett style I was left questioning and clueless until the end. 

The second I finished this book I pre-ordered Halletts third book, The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels, which is due January 2023 and I countdown is on for real. Hallett has cemented her place on my top five authors lists of all time. 

Read my review of The Appeal here: https://uneducatedbookdiary.blogspot.com/2022/04/the-appeal-by-janice-hallett-murder.html

Comments

  1. Not a writer I've encountered, but someone I'll be searching out now. Her style - as you said - sounds refreshingly different.
    Great review. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great way of putting out a captivating novel. JamieAdStories

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment