Book Review | One Beats The Bush by Riall Nolan - The First in the Max Donovan Adventure Series

One Beats The Bush is a well-paced action thriller that ticks multiple boxes; page-turning twists, fight scenes, a lot of crime and, more importantly, a main character you cannot help but love. Vietnam veteran Max Donovan is in Bangkok, and very hungover, when his friend “Fat” Freddie Fields is arrested in San Francisco for the murder of an Australian diplomat. He knows his old buddy would never hurt a fly, so he rushes back to the Bay Area to help. Suspecting Freddie is being framed, Donovan tries to rustle up some cash to bail him out, but only succeeds in getting into trouble with the local mob.  He’ll have to solve the case on his own. Unfortunately, the only clue he has suggest the answer lies in the jungle-covered mountains of Papua New Guinea. As he comes face-to-face with smugglers, hostile tribesmen, insurgents, and a web of corruption and deception, can Donovan achieve what is seemingly impossible? Nolan has managed to achieve a page-turning action thriller that doesn’t feel

Monthly Wrap Up | January 2022


January has felt like it has lasted a lifetime. How was Christmas only just over a month ago?! But thankfully a long (and relatively boring) January meant I got to read the most books I have ever read in one month. I’ve experienced a rollercoaster of emotions, pushed myself outside of my reading comfort zone and found new authors that I have fallen in love with. 

What I Read

Right Behind You by Lisa Gardner

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

The Martian by Andy Weir

Murder at the House on the Hill by Victoria Walters

The Vanishing of Audrey Wilde by Eve Chase

Fannie by Rebecca F. John

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell 

* I will update with a link to the blog post once published. 

My Favourite Book of the Month

I read some fantastic books this month but I think my favourite book was The Midnight Library. This book bought me joy, laughter, sadness and self reflection within less than 300 pages. Nora was a great character and I felt so connected to her. Also, Haig manages to write about a major issue that a lot of people with depression have dealt with, the issue of ‘what if’ or ‘if only’, but does it with such a positive flare. It’s the book I never knew I needed but I’m so grateful I read. 

Next Months Plans

I have quite a lot of NetGalley books to get through so I’m hoping to focus my February towards them. I do struggle with e-books a bit more. Not sure what it is but I’m always a bit apprehensive when it comes to reading an e-book, almost like I lose focus easier. This has gotten better over the months, however I think I’m gonna squeeze in a physical book between my NetGalley books to help keep me focused. If anyone has any tips for reading e-books please do let me know!!

In terms of physical books, I have a lot of books on my TBR pile so my aim is to slowly work through them. Not sure which ones are going to take my fancy, but I’m excited for them all.


Comments

  1. It makes me SO happy to see that The Midnight Library was your favorite book of the month. That's one of my all-time favorite books and it was absolutely life-changing for me. Matt Haig is definitely an auto-buy author for me now, after reading a handful of his books. He's such a kindred spirit, honestly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment